Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Doctor, Really?

My 40 hour a week profession is working security in one of the major hospitals in Portland. Last winter I worked double shifts at the hospital for a couple days in a row while spending the night at the hospital so our department was properly staffed because some people could not come to work.

I was working a day shift in dispatch when I got a call from a doctor who lived in the furthest reaches of Tigard. The hospital was offering free rides to employees by picking them up at home and taking them to work and then taking them back home at the end of their shift. However, those employees had to be within 10 miles of the hospital. This doctor was way outside the 10 mile limit and I informed the doctor of this. I told the doctor if she took the bus, we could pick her up at a bus stop or transit center closer to the hospital. The doctor told me that she was at least a mile away from the nearest bus stop and didn't know when the bus ran. After several minutes on the phone giving the doctor information on how to find out bus times and going over the different options, the doctor all of a sudden got an attitude and said in a teenagerish winy voice "But how am I going to get to work?"

Really!?! You are a fucking doctor. You went to school for 12+ years and you can't figure out how to get to work on a snowy day. Give me a fucking break!!!!

I so wanted to say that to her and so much more, but I was in hospital mode with means I smile and try to be polite. I explained to her that those were her available options, and that if she couldn't make it in due to the weather, then she should probably call her boss and let them know. She hung up on me in frustration.

You would think that someone who decided to go into medicine and become a doctor would have enough intelligence to figure out how to get to work when it snows. Especially when you are living in the Northwest where it snows, rains and is sunny enough to get a tan all in the same day. But that takes common sense, and as we all know lack of common sense is an IQ killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment