Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Exssesivly Baggy Clothing


They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but even the picture above doesn't convey what I truly feel about this style of dress.

What is it with this look? What makes this fad so great that it has lasted as long as it has? I remember back in the late 80's when hanging pants just started becoming popular. I thought it was stupid looking back then and it's even more stupid now 20 years later.
I don't mean to stereotype this look, but it seems that a majority of the people that dress this way are black men or white men who think they are black. And then there is a small percentage that just dress that way because they are lazy or plain stupid.

Back in the early 90's it was explained to me by someone who dressed this ways on a daily basis is that poorer parents would dress their kids in bigger clothes so they could grow into them and then it slowly became a fad. Makes sense, but you would think that once you made enough money to buy your own clothes or when you stopped growing you would buy clothes that would fit. To be wearing pants that make you walk like a penguin or that you have to pick up the crotch when you run is just stupid to me no matter how much money you have.

As a bouncer I see this style of dress all the time and it drives me up the wall. I have such a hateful passion about it that I forbid my kids to wear baggy jeans. Now I wouldn't consider me or my family poor, but I have a cousin that is just a year or two older than my eldest son and sometimes he passes older clothes onto us. He is a bit bigger in the waist than my son so whenever I see my son wearing one of my cousins hand-me-downs, I make sure he is wearing a belt and it doesn't come down past his ass. And god forbid when I catch him wearing pants without a belt.

This look just does not say well bred to me at all. And money has nothing to do with. It looks thuggish and shows that you have no self worth, and why should I care about you when you don't care about yourself.

One thing I saw the other day that got me and drove me to write about this. I understand this is a really stupid fad and maybe in some circles the lower your pants are the higher you are on whatever scale you live by, but when you are permanently in a wheelchair and you are still wearing you pants low. Give me a fucking break. Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment